This week an explosion occurred at the Montana State University which has a called for an increased scrutiny over the danger posed by canned aerosols.
However on going through the details of the case it is clear that the incident occurred due to the mis- handling of the container by the student and that the aerosol market will certainly not collapse over an issue like this.
Most aerosol cans use some kind of hydrocarbon as a way to get the product out of the can by pushing it. These hydrocarbons are highly inflammable which raises the risk if one has fire nearby.
However, at Montana State University, students are prohibited from having an open flame in their room. However it is said that a lighter was the source of fire and that a very large amount of aerosol has to be sprayed out to cause an explosion of that magnitude.
The product is said to be of high concentration which the student, who apparently smelled it to get a “kick” out of it, had mixed in the air until it reached a source of combustion.
Aerosol canned products are categorized into three levels, Coburn says the Freez-It product involved in the explosion most likely fell into the level 3 category that include things like spray paint and carburetor fluid.
Level one is the least hazardous it is a water-based product, level two is usually an alcohol based product which is your hair sprays and level three is a little more hazardous.
It is ideally common sense be aware of the pretty prominent warning label posted on the back of a can to avoid any accidental fires or explosions. The students, as a sign of clear recklessness on their part had most likely chosen to avoid the sign or never bothered to read it to begin with.
A spokesman of the university has reportedly said that a lighter ban in the dorms would not have changed the outcome of Thursday’s incident, as he insists that there was “simply a lack of common sense”.